9.18.2007

Friedman -- a bit flat on live tv

I heard Friedman on This Week last Sunday. He is a much better writer than he is a speaker. Even as he writes about the new communications in our flattened world, his writing and not his media appearance connects us with his ideas. In the panel discussion with other journalists, being interrupted before he could finish any of his sentences, he demonstrated the value of the "low tech" book over the high tech medium. When we think about 21st-century media covergence, we see an old debate with a new twist. Extend this to web 2.0 vs the long tradition of the printed page. I know it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Books are not going out of style anytime soon, at least I hope so. The value of Friedman's 473-page book over his brief and frequently interrupted turn on the tv panel is an example of how "low tech" can still outshine free-form, networked media convergence as a source of sustained content of enduring value.

1 comment:

K.E.nn. said...

Speaking of low-tech and high tech. I work in SF State and most of my job is to provide content, a lot of content, big texty no graphics content... As a designer, I have to make sure I can organize the info so that it is presentable and at the same time easy on the eyes. Before any of these are typed up in front of my computer using whatever hi-tech software, I'm still old-school in terms of drawing out my design with my pen and my half-used McDonald napkin. To me it's just more organic and I want to feel organic, I wonder how peeps would be my job 10 - 20 years from now. Will everything be on digital space? Will paper and pen become obsolete? I am very interested in finding out, I hope I'll live that long. :)